Accessing _VTPackingTransform info in code [SOON]

Massive Virtual Texturing for Unity Pro

Accessing _VTPackingTransform info in code [SOON]

Postby unisip » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:05 am

Hey guys I really love you tech, I started evaluating it for my projects and it seems to work like a charm. I have a couple of questions though. I'm looking at using Amplify on some projects that need to manage lots of separate images, generating the scene dynamically. Think of it as an image viewer with thousands of images, managed in a virtual texture.

Anyway, I was able to easily prototype that by creating a scene with lots of quads, each with its material and texture. Using Amplify let's me bake all of that in a single virtual texture, and then to reduce draw calls at runtime, i replace my hundreds of materials with a single one, recompute the uvs on quad meshes with the _VTPackingTransform data.

However, what would really help would be to have access to the packing info, in some kind of dictionary that stores the _VTPackingTransform info for each source texture name. That would greatly facilitate the dynamic creation of geometry.

Is this possible?

Ideally, I would want to be able to create a virtual texture from a set of textures without even having to have geometry/materials associated to them
unisip

Re: Accessing _VTPackingTransform info in code

Postby Diogo Teixeira » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi unisip,

I also replied in the Unity forum, so I hope you don't mind me duplicating the answer here. I'm still available to provide more info on request:

Thanks for the great feedback, first and foremost. We're glad you find it useful!

There's really nothing preventing us from exposing the packing info, if you find a use for it. However, we've halted AT1 development and are focusing instead on AT2 and it'll be a while before a public release. We'll make sure this info is on the public API for the first AT2 development build we'll be releasing to pre-order customers over the coming weeks. I hope this helps.
Research & Development at Amplify Creations
Diogo Teixeira

Return to Amplify Texture