ASE Terrain shader with more than 4 splatmaps

Node-based Shader Editor

ASE Terrain shader with more than 4 splatmaps

Postby jojue » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi there,

I was setting up a custom terrain shader and wanted to us more than 4 splatmaps. So I added a AddPass shader to my terrain shader and set it up like in the Simple Terrain example. When I painted the 5th splatmap it appears in completely black.

So I went back to your Simple Terrain example and tried to paint a 5th splatmap to see if I made some errors, but it doesn't seem to work in the Simple Terrain example as well. It appears at a black texture, even though there is the SimpleTerrainAddPass added and the splatmap count is set to 8.

Is this a bug or are more than 4 splatmaps not supported by the ASE?
jojue

Re: ASE Terrain shader with more than 4 splatmaps

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello, a similar question was already answered in this post, feel free to refer to it and do let us know if it helps.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby jojue » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks for your answer. I was searching the forums for a similar topic, but this thread wasn't shown for me.

I was setting my FirstPass and AddPass shader up like in your example, but if you open the SimpleTerrain example scene that comes with ASE and try to add a 5th texture you see that it will show up as a black texture and not the selected texture.

Is there something I've been missing?

I would like to attach a picture, but the board attachment quota has been reached.
jojue

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 am

Apologies for that, we're currently looking into the forum issues, you may use an external service such as imgur and the the insert image tag [img]img_url[/img].

In any case, we've managed to track down the issue, it seems to be present on Unity 2018.3+ and it requires you to remove the Splat Count Tag in the SimpleTerrainFirstPass shader:

After doing so and compiling the shader, it should work as expected.
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Shader Editor