"Apply Method : Deferred" == no ssao when ambient is black

"Apply Method : Deferred" == no ssao when ambient is black

Postby darbotron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi

I've found another issue - if you set the "Apply Method" to Deferred then the ssao produces no visible effect if the ambient colour is set to black - and is pretty much invisible for any dark colour.

I've noticed this because my game's environment is very dark and I have ambient pretty close to black.

Again, this might be deliberate but it seems wrong to me - with it this way any pretty much any light is enough to remove all darkening caused by the ssao.

The bigger issue for me is that this means one set of settings for the SSAO won't work - for example - when moving from a light outside into a dark building.

Alex
darbotron

Re: "Apply Method : Deferred" == no ssao when ambient is bla

Postby Amplify_Borba » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:19 pm

darbotron wrote:Hi

I've found another issue - if you set the "Apply Method" to Deferred then the ssao produces no visible effect if the ambient colour is set to black - and is pretty much invisible for any dark colour.

I've noticed this because my game's environment is very dark and I have ambient pretty close to black.

Again, this might be deliberate but it seems wrong to me - with it this way any pretty much any light is enough to remove all darkening caused by the ssao.

The bigger issue for me is that this means one set of settings for the SSAO won't work - for example - when moving from a light outside into a dark building.

Alex

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your input, we have tested both methods on our side with a dark ambient and everything is working as intended, perhaps in your particular case it would be best suited if you would use the post effect method, which applies the occlusion effect to all objects.

The deferred method only applies occlusion to unlit zones, preserving the lit surfaces by injecting SSAO before the direct light stage.

Feel free to send us a sample and more detailed information on what you hope to achieve with this effect so we can better analyze the situation as soon as possible!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Occlusion