Specular Baking

1-Click Impostor Creator

Specular Baking

Postby blackant » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:51 am

Hello,

i'm really happy integrating impostors to my project, it's a real gain of time for LOD and great quality improvment,
however i noticed some little things

• - the baking system is disabling MeshRendering to do his job, but when you have multiple sub-objects, it forgot to reactivate them, which must be done manually.
  • - The specular baking needs some improve as you may see on my screenshot
Screenshot at 2018-08-13 11 29 38.png
Screenshot at 2018-08-13 11 29 38.png (200.18 KiB) Viewed 4998 times
blackant

Re: Specular Baking

Postby Ricardo Teixeira » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:35 am

blackant wrote:Hello,

i'm really happy integrating impostors to my project, it's a real gain of time for LOD and great quality improvment,
however i noticed some little things

• - the baking system is disabling MeshRendering to do his job, but when you have multiple sub-objects, it forgot to reactivate them, which must be done manually.
  • - The specular baking needs some improve as you may see on my screenshot
Screenshot at 2018-08-13 11 29 38.png

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch!

Can you elaborate on the MeshRendering issue? We deactivate it for LODs, and only when they disappear; I'm not sure I understand why would you need to reactivate sub objects.
Can you show us your hierarchy?
Are you using a custom shader?

Thanks!
Sales & Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Learn more about our offering: Amplify Creations Products
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Ricardo Teixeira

Postby blackant » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am

The object baked is a LOD Group, which sometimes may have multiple Object for LOD0 .
for custome shaders i set back to standard to get it to works (tree shaders for exemple as standard cutout)
But some standard material may not have any texture applied to Metal channel, which result this specular values rendered.
to correct this i had to remove the generated map from specular channel and can get want i want.
Screenshot-at-2018-08-16-13-29-31.jpg
LOD Setup
Screenshot-at-2018-08-16-13-29-31.jpg (73.01 KiB) Viewed 4990 times

Screenshot-at-2018-08-16-13-29-48.jpg
Removed Specular
Screenshot-at-2018-08-16-13-29-48.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
blackant

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Hey there, can you send us a sample with the issue present, so that we can debug it on our side?

If you'd rather share it privately, feel free to send it via [email protected], thanks!
Customer Relations at Amplify Creations
Amplify Shader Editor won the Asset Store Best Tool Award - Thank you for your support!
Amplify_Borba

Postby Amplify_Borba » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Thank you for sending the sample, I've passed it along to the developer as there seems to be an issue with the generated specular map.

Regarding the baking system disabling the MeshRendering and not reactivating it, this is actually working as expected due to a design decision, apologies for the inconvenience.

We'll be sure to get back in touch as soon as we have any developments regarding this situation.
Amplify_Borba

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 am

Upon investigating this situation, it seems that it happens because the shader is not behaving properly in deferred, which you can confirm by setting the camera to deferred.

Impostors bake the textures as if the rendering mode was in deferred, which is why the impostor looks different, so the ideal solution for this case would be for you to use a shader that is properly compatible with both forward and deferred rendering paths, like the standard shaders.

Another good solution would be to reduce the "Shininess" material property to the lowest value since this is the main property that is causing the issue and there's almost no visual difference between between a high value and a low value in forward but there's a huge difference between the values in deferred.

Please let me know if this helps, thanks!
Amplify_Borba

Postby blackant » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:51 am

thanks, looks good for me
blackant

Postby Amplify_Borba » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:42 pm

No problem, glad to be of assistance!

Have you had the chance to rate and review Amplify Impostors? It would be awesome if you could share your experience with the Unity community, the Unity Asset Store thrives on user interaction and direct feedback.
Every bit helps, your feedback is extremely valuable to us!

Feel free to get back in touch if you have any further issues or questions, thanks!
Amplify_Borba

Postby blackant » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Haha, yes i wrote a review with 5 stars for this awesome product and i also wrote a review for french users on unity connect.
https://connect.unity.com/p/amplify-impostors-beta
blackant

Postby Amplify_Borba » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:45 am

Thank you for your kindness, we're glad to know that you're enjoying Amplify Impostors!

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you come across any further issues, thanks!
Amplify_Borba

Return to Amplify Impostors